Thursday, February 5, 2009

Homemade Bar-B-Q

HEB (the local grocery store) had brisket and pork ribs each on sale for $1.99/pound. I decided to do some home-cooked Texas-style Bar-B-Q.

Having cooked bar-b-q (not grilling but the multi-hour kind...) brisket and sausage some before, I don't know why I never did ribs. (perhaps it was I had not seen them before for $1.99, and the normal price is more than 2x that...)

The ribs turned out really well, as did the brisket and sausage. I will for sure be doing more ribs in the future!

The best way to cook it Texas-style is season meat with a dry-rub then sear at high heat (350+°F) for ~30 minutes then slow cook (200-225°F) for 10-18 hours. Use a good hardwood like oak or hickory for good flavor.

The problem becomes keeping the fire going we'll at low temperature for such a long time. Enter now the "cheat" method. Start as above (even on a regular grill if needs be) then cook on low heat as long as you have patience/time/will be awake for (I usually go 1-3 hours). Then wrap the meat in several layers of foil and place in the oven at low temperature (200-225°F) for remaining cook time.

Using the "cheat" method you can start the meat the night before, get a good uninterrupted night's sleep, and have yummy home-cooked Bar-B-Q for lunch or dinner (or better yet both)!

2 comments:

  1. That looks yummy. I'll have to try it sometime when I feel ambitious...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really should try it. Well worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete